Monday, April 18, 2011

Needy

Psalm 107:33-43

"He turned rivers into a desert,
flowing springs into thirsty ground,
and fruitful land into salt waste,
because of the wickedness of those who lived there.

He turned the desert into pools of water
and the parched ground into flowing springs;
there he brought the hungry to live,
and they founded a city where they could settle.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards
that yeilded a fruitful harvest;
He blessed them, and their numbers greatly increased,
and He did not let their herds diminish.

Then their numbers decreased,
and they were humbled by oppression, calamity and sorrow;
he who pours contempt on nobles made them wander in the trackless waste.

But he lifted the needy out of their affliction
and increased their families like flocks.
The upright see and rejoice,
but all the wicked shut their mouths.

Whoever is wise, let him heed these things
and consider the great love of the Lord."


I saw a homeless woman today. She was standing on a corner with her sign, asking for help from hurried drivers. That is not a place people want to be. But out of desperation, people around the world humble themselves to stand on a corner and expose their needs to the world, hoping someone will pause to help.

I am afraid of being needy. I hate asking people for favors. I don't usually ask for help on anything. But I find myself frustrated. No matter what I have accomplished by myself, I am still so weak. I give in to negative emotions and self-pity. I lose perspective at the tiniest glitch in my life and don't consider that it may just be God's bigger, better plan.

This passage in Psalms opened my eyes. I am needy. Whether I think I am or not, I am in need. We are all in need of God. And when we shut out this need, we shut out God's blessings.

For the hungry, God prepared a place with fertile soil that produced much fruit. And for the needy, God provided escape and increase in numbers. How great a love that He provides for everyone who has need!

For the wicked, God dried up the ground. And for those who numbers decreased (which was not from God, verse 38 says God did not let their herds diminish), God allowed oppression, calamity and sorrow. How much greater a love that He also gives neediness to the proud! Verse 39 says these people were humbled by the oppression. By taking away the worldy things we rely on, God blesses us by clearing the mud from our eyes that blinds us to our need for Him.

So this is me standing on a corner with my sign: I need God.

God, we need you. And if we must be oppressed to see that need and learn to trust in you, then let it be. Prune us. Mold us. Renew us.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right Beth. Weather we want to believe it or not, we are all in need of God. No matter how many good things we have, there is only one thing that matters..GOD! those homeless people on the street get to me too. One day, I hope they realize they even though they dont have anything here on earth, they have God! And that is all that they need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I forget to ask God for help with things and put all of the weight on my shoulders. We need God, We must also give back to God by showing him our love.

    I love reading your blog and thanks for continuing to inspire me with new things to think about :)

    ReplyDelete